Brain Bulletin #23 - Double Your Brain Capacityin Brain Bulletin
When you brain works right, your life works right! And everyone needs a little help.
People often get stuck in Learning. How would you like to double your brain capacity for learning anytime you want? You can. Cross lateral movements wake up your brain!
In the last Brain Bulletin you were reminded that you have 2 brains and that they "take turns resting and working". This is called the Left/Right Dominant Cycle of the Brain.
Your brain is most effective when it is using both sides of the brain. More brain equals more learning! Cross laterals help. The right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and vice versa. When you move an arm or a leg across the center meridian of your body you force the left and the right cortex to interact vigorously with each other across the corpus callosum. This leads to better thinking and learning for a period of about 20 minutes at which time you can do more cross laterals.
Here a few to try right now:
- Pat yourself on the opposite side of the back 10 or 20 times. Alternating each time.
- Touch elbows or hand to opposite knees.
- Freestyle and backstroke swimming motions.
- Massage opposite ear lobes.
- Extend your hand in front and make a "thumbs up" sign. Move your thumb in a big sideways "8" several times. Repeat with the other hand.
My favourite: Hold nose and opposite ear. Switch vigorously for about 10 seconds.
Remember, these are all alternating movements.
What are you waiting for....get moving and get learning.
In the next Brain Bulletin you will learn how music affects your brain.