Brain Bulletin #54 - 6 Things You Probably Don't Know About Your Brainin Brain Bulletin
Here are 6 things you probably don't know about your brain:
- Your brain is a 3 pound universe....wrapped in tissue and bone....it is proportionately larger than in any other creature on earth.
- Your brain is just 2% of your body weight....yet demands 20% of your blood flow and 20% of your oxygen.
- The number of physical thought pathways that your brain can potentially create is the number 1 followed by 10.5 million kilometers of standard font zeros.
- The one hundred million neurons in your brain can create more ideas than the number of atoms in the known universe.
- These ideas zip around in your brain at 428 kilometers per hour!
- Your brain's total capacity for data storage is a terabyte of terabytes (you can look this one up...I did).
Yet for all of the scientific study of the brain....much remains a mystery. Here is a remarkable video. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I did. Keep the above six facts in mind as you watch it. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVqRT_kCOLI
Congratulations on learning something about your brain today. The Brain Bulletin is committed to help to do just that. If you missed any Brain Bulletins you can find them in the Brain Bulletin Archive.
Something brand new for your brain:
Terry Small is on Twitter: www.twitter.com/terrysmall
I love Twitter. I didn't think I would, but I do. It is a great way to learn and fuel your brain.
I will be posting, or tweeting as it's called, regularly about the brain. What I'm reading, watching, thinking, doing....all as it relates to your brain. Twitter restricts tweets to 140 characters, so it is always quick and to the point. No time wasting!
Even if you are not on Twitter you can check them out here:www.twitter.com/terrysmall
Well, I have been enjoying summer. I have been doing lots of reading and research for my fall presentations. I read a great little book this week called "How Full is Your Bucket" by Tom Rath. It is a quick read and it is full of great, practical advice that ties in nicely with the discovery of mirror neurons (see BB #25).
During the month of August I will be teaching speed reading and study skills in Delta, North Vancouver, and Coquitlam.....helping students get ready for Sept. I am also preparing for a TV interview on Shaw. We also have a family holiday planned to Whistler.
Remember, you are a genius.